Thursday, February 15, 2007

V2V: Text for Wine

Though a foodie, I'm not much of a wine conniseu. . .conno. . .I'm not much of a wino.

But when I read Ted's post about a new "wine meets phone" deal, I had to try it out, so I texted "vino 2002 gallo" to 44636. The response, courtesy of 4INFO? "2002 Gallo of Sonoma, Chardonnay Sonoma County Reserve, V2V-79 (corky, musty)." In talking with Ted, I learned that V2V-79 is not a new bird flu variant but rather a "wine score" -- not too super, in this case, which is further explained by adjectives like "corky" and "musty." Later, I texted "vino 2001 sangiovese" and received multiples options, with my friends Corky and Musty nowhere to be found.

Wouldn't it be cool if a wine-moron like me could somehow crunch a recipe into a box, click "Go," and have the recipe intelligently analyzed, with wine recommendations coming out the other side? Heck, I'd settle for easily browsing my recipe collection from my phone -- a virtual shopping list for those moments when inspiration hits only after I've arrived at the produce section.

What's cool is that Jangl will, over time, be doing a lot of very nifty SMS functions that will essentially allow you to really personalize your phone experience. So say tuned for that.

In the meantime, text for wine. It's the coolest little "wine tool" since. . .um. . .me.

No comments: